Throughout the year as I mix larger events I’ll be recording them and as many other things as I can manage and posting it here for you to watch and see how I do mix. Occasionally I’ll be recording a soundcheck as well giving you even more opportunities to see into how we do things where I work at Christ Community Church.
Here are the particulars for this recording:
- This was our last Easter service at Christ Community Church and if you’d like you can watch the message given at this link. We didn’t have any extra additions to the band this time but we did have some extra tracks and extra time was spent both in rehearsals and the prep which brought the mix to a higher than normal level.
- The audio you hear is from the broadcast mix of the FOH console. This mix is built from my master bus with the FX turned down just a bit to help them sit better in a studio environment and that’s it. It’s not a perfect mix for broadcast but it does a good job at translating a mix designed for an auditorium down to a mix suitable for personal viewing.
- You will see 4 videos in a matrix. The top left video is my Smaart machine. The green is real-time, the orange is a 10 sec average of the real time, the red (if you even see it) is what is coming out of the console (you’ll typically only see if there is an issue with our gear which I don’t believe there was). The SPL number is 1 minute average which is how we measure the services. The top left is the broadcast video feed. Bottom left is basically what I see, that camera is looking over my shoulder and the bottom right is just a camera pointed at the console. This band was doing such a great job this weekend I really was only need to make minor adjustments and play around with FX and my VCAs on my right hand.
- Here is the general layout of the SSL L500+ that I’m operating. Top left bank of faders generally sits on my drum inputs and drum FX feeds and can access my mixed outputs if need be. The Left bank at my waist (left hand) is used for instruments and tracks and access my main outputs and groups if I need to check on something or make an adjustment. The bank in front of me (right hand) is almost always on the VOX page of the console which also has my VCAs which allows me to quickly make larger mix changes. Please don’t hesitate to ask questions in the comments if you’d like to know more.
- There is a Waves SoundGrid running, look for future posts regarding how we use that.
- Song names are listed on the youtube page and all credit goes to the band for the performance, the song authors, and to God for allowing me to work with such a great team.
If you like what you see and would like to receive an email when new content is released please feel free to subscribe at this link!